Architects Outfit…

Remember the first post by Laith titled "Going black… I mean green!" where he mentioned that black is energy saving and that it is the color of architects... all real architects start LOVING black after a while, yeah that's a fact. I found photos on google and compiled them on a list so now it is easy to see that the most favorite color for architects to wear is Green Black :)

black outfit
Why? I would have to assume it’s because:
1) Black is slimming, so we always look thinner than we are.
2) It complements our eye bags and ink-smudged hands.
3) We cannot be mistaken for engineers…

But let us not speculate on the reasons. Cordula Rau has collected countless answers and presented them in her book “Why Do Architects Wear Black?” in the handwriting of those courageous enough to answer.
v286817_958_600_350-1[1]
They're all Existentialists” Thomas Ende (wow… he killed me!)

Because they wish to appear interesting + appear to be Existentialists” Peter Conradi (OK… I'm already dead…)

Black means you can't really go wrong and you don't have to change that often” Jürgen Mayer H. (interesting)

Because they believe they need to stand out from the bourgeois society whence they come if they are to be real ‘artists'” Christoph Mäckler (why so serious?)

I don't wear black” Peter Eisenman (LIAR!!!)

Green” Dietrich Fink (…)

black, nothing occurs to me really, probably because so many architects wear it?” Jacques Herzog (umm… what?)

Because life is so sad” Albert Speer (True.. but the author was asking about something else..)

Architects wear black ... because they want to have the authority of black capes, the liberty of apes, and the visibility of nocturnal capers” Peter Haimerl (he was supposed to be a poet)

v286817_958_600_350-5[1]
Black makes you look thin” Stefan Behling (yea, my point)

v286817_958_600_350-6[1]
and people notice your eyes better” Gregor Eichinger (exactly.. people notice my green eyes better when i wear black :P)

v286817_958_600_350-13[1]
I don't know” Konstantin Grcic (I like this answer the most)

v286817_958_600_350-8[1]
Because they don’t have a sense of fantasy and imagination” Massimilliano Fuksas (well… you wear black…)

v286817_958_600_350-9[1]
Black is the color of creative: mysterious, deep, definite. Goes with every color” Eike Becker (pretty straightforward)

v286817_958_600_350-11[1]
I don’t know. I wear colored clothes” Peter Zumthor (LIAR #2…)

v286817_958_600_350-12[1]
I never wear black!” Rem Koolhaas (LIAR #3!!)

You’ll notice some things… architects lie pretty often and their handwriting sucks :S.. as for the question I’d stick with Konstantin Grcic: "I don't know!", but what about you, what do you think?

Of course that does not mean that all architects love black that’s why I submitted this new poll, so go on and vote on your favorite color.

2 comments:

  1. I like the post .. I've found two things in common between me and the architects .. wearing black and THE VERY BAD HANDWRITING !

    I think the reason is : their artistic taste , when u have different colors of the same shirt .. the Black one is almost ALWAYS the classiest ..
    However, girls in general have other reasons to wear black ..

    And finally here is a hint for your next post : WHY DO ARCHITECTS LIE??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to both of you...

    @Laith
    I don't actually have the book, but I found most of the text and some pictures of the pages on this website...

    @Lama
    Your handwriting sucks!?!? if it does what would you rank my handwriting...?

    And thanks for the hint i'll try spelunking around the web for some answers... :)

    ReplyDelete