Human scale?

Wow! it has been a long time since i posted something here, anyways.. me and my group of urban design (Abdallah, Roaa, Omar and Mariam) at the stage of SWOT analysis were discussing the strengths of Al-Fuheis with our instructor and we talked about the building heights and how they are human scale… well don’t ask me what does that mean, we actually got that phrase from a SWOT case study (but don’t tell anyone..), well he interrupted me asking “so what?” so i answered “why so serious?” (no.. the last answer did not occur, but it makes the conversation a bit interesting) well the truth is that I paused for a while… and as usual he started talking about something off topic (forgot what it was…), but anyways, when i got back home I started searching about the meaning of “human scale” to not be in that moment of silence again… well from the end (a Jordanian phrase meaning -in summary-) i found nothing about what it means or what it is used for but i found something interesting that actually made me laugh out loud, I’ll leave you with these pictures…

01
02
03



Art director Willi Dorner in a project called ‘bodies in urban spaces’ combining humans in odd formations and unusual locations was set out to explore the “relationship between body, space and architecture”.
The artist has effectively transformed the human body into form, a complete reversal from the classical convention of creating the human form from a material.

04
05
06
07
08
09
10

Go here for more..

Well, going back to the question, what does human scale mean if said in relation to a building? from my point of view i guess it means that the building respects the scale of the human being as in not huge or tiny and is easily accessed and used effectively, that's my definition… what do you think..?

5 comments:

  1. hhhhhhhhhhh karim you put it after all haa !!! but i like the new concept of HUMAN SCALE h3h3h3 its i dunno what to say more meaningful and interesting i guess than what we used to call "human scale " right ??!!!:P:P:P hhhhh no guys im just kidding hhhh but soo funny karim i like it keep it up dude ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. does he have a problem with showing heads ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks for the comment Adham, did not notice that before... but I guess he/she intentionally kept it anonymous for the sake of keeping it scientific, not some funny stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice ...and scary too ...

    thanks for the article ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx! this has helped me with my concept somehow..

    ReplyDelete